ESEC/FSE 2022 is co-hosted by the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the National University of Singapore (NUS). In-person attendees must review and agree to the liability waivers required by ACM and NUS as outlined below.
The Association for Computing Machinery (“ACM”) requires that any attendee or volunteer at ESEC/FSE 2022 (the “Event”) review the following material on COVID-19 prior to attending the Event.
COVID-19 has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization. Evidence has shown that COVID-19 can cause serious and potentially life-threatening illness and even death. ACM urges each Event attendee or volunteer to review the Event venue’s safety protocols, should they be available, in advance of deciding whether to attend the Event. ACM cannot guarantee that its participants, volunteers, partners, or any others in attendance will not become infected with COVID-19.
We ask and expect that all attendees and volunteers will follow any and all applicable recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization concerning the need to isolate, quarantine, or take other steps to prevent spreading COVID-19.
I acknowledge that I derive personal satisfaction and a benefit by virtue of my participation and/or attendance at this Event and I willingly engage in this Event.
In connection with the exposure, infection, and/or spread of COVID-19 at the Event, I hereby forever release, waive and discharge any and all liability, claims, and demands of whatever kind or nature against ACM and its affiliated partners and sponsors, including in each case, without limitation, its and their directors, officers, employees, volunteers and agents (the “Released Parties”), either in law or in equity, to the fullest extent permissible by law. This waiver includes damages or losses caused by the negligence, fault or conduct of any kind on the part of the Released Parties. This waiver includes, but is not limited to, death, bodily injury, illness, economic loss or out of pocket expenses, or loss or damage to property, which I, my heirs, assignees, next of kin and/or legally appointed representatives may hereinafter accrue on my behalf, which arise or may hereafter arise from my participation in the Event.
I acknowledge and understand the following:
- Participation in this Event includes possible exposure to and illness from infectious diseases including but not limited to COVID-19. While particular rules and personal discipline may reduce this risk, the risk of serious illness and death does exist; and
- I hereby knowingly and freely assume all such risks related to illness and infectious diseases, such as COVID-19, even if arising from the negligence or fault of the Released Parties; and
- I hereby knowingly assume the responsibility of reviewing the Event venue’s safety protocols before deciding whether to attend the Event and acknowledge that the decision of whether to attend the Event is solely mine; and
- I hereby knowingly assume the risk of injury, harm and loss associated with the Event, including any injury, harm, and loss caused by the negligence, fault or conduct of any kind on the part of the Released Parties; and
- I hereby knowingly assume the risk of any COVID-19 related travel costs I may incur in connection with attendance at the Event, including, but not limited to, the costs associated with any mandatory quarantine regulations, cancelled travel, etc.
I understand that the law of the State of New York will apply to this agreement and that the exclusive venue for any dispute arising out of this agreement shall be the State or Federal courts in New York.
“Conference”: ESEC-FSE 2022
Individuals who fall within any of the categories below should not engage in any conference events on site. By attending the Conference on site, you certify that you do not fall into any of the following categories and have complied with the following:
- Individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 10 days or are currently showing COVID-19 symptoms. Any persons who have tested positive for COVID-19 should not attend the conference until symptoms are not being experienced and the individual has obtained a follow-up negative test for COVID-19;
- Individuals who currently or within the past fourteen (14) days have experienced any symptoms associated with COVID-19, which include fever, cough, and shortness of breath among others; or
- Non-vaccinated individuals.
The Conference Organisers requires that all participants in its on-site conferences and courses (including standard participants and speakers) are to be fully vaccinated or carry a valid form of exemption from vaccination.
I declare that I am fully vaccinated against COVID19 and I agree to furnish proof of being fully vaccinated, if such proof is requested by the Conference organizers or their representatives.
Conference presenters and/or participants agree to self-monitor during the event for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (symptoms typically include fever, cough, and shortness of breath) and immediately contact the Conference Organisers at firstname.lastname@example.org if he/she test positive for COVID-19 or experiences symptoms of COVID-19 within 14 days after participating on-site at the Conference.
By registering and/or attending the Conference as a presenter and/or participant, I acknowledge that my decision to attend the event in person is personal and voluntary in nature, and in choosing to do so, recognize, assume any and all risks of exposure to COVID-19 which may arise or be associated with my attendance and accordingly, do hereby release the organisers of the Conference or ACM or the National University of Singapore and waive any and all liability, claims and demands of whatever kind or nature against such parties which may arise as a result or in relation thereof.
I acknowledge and understand the following:
- Participation on-site in any at the Conference includes possible exposure to and illness from infectious diseases, including but not limited to, COVID-19.
- I knowingly and freely assume all such risks related to illness and infectious diseases, such as COVID-19, even if arising from the negligence or fault of the Released Parties.
I understand that it is my responsibility to practice safe distancing, and other safety precautions to avoid contracting COVID-19 or other contagious diseases.
I agree to wear masks indoors while attending the Conference. I understand that masks need not be worn outdoors in Singapore. I understand that while giving talks, as per NUS policy, speakers can take off masks but should maintain a distance of at least one (1) meter from other attendees while delivering their talk.
By attending, I agree to abide by the COVID-19 protocols and guidelines stated in https://www.covid.gov.sg/ and to follow the same while attending the Conference, and to comply with instructions that may be issued by the Conference Organisers which the Conference Organisers may in its discretion deem necessary to ensure the health and safety of its attendees. This will include, but is not limited to:
- Refraining from attending the event, or leaving promptly, if I develop symptoms associated with COVID-19;
- Complying with the prevailing medicinal mask-wearing policy communicated at the event;
- Following instructions on physical distancing and crowd circulation at the event;
- Following distancing and circulation instructions on-site to minimise contact;
- Observing good hand-washing and hygiene etiquette;
- Filling in and signing a self-declaration form, in which I will be asked to confirm that:
- I have not been in close contact with a person with suspected or confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection;
- I have not shown any symptoms of a SARS-CoV-2 infection;
- I have valid proof of vaccination when coming on site.
I accept that I may be asked to leave the event should I fail to meet the obligations contained herein.