Transforming Monolithic Applications to Microservices with Mono2Micro
Enterprises are increasingly moving their production workloads to the cloud to take advantage of capabilities, such as streamlined provisioning of infrastructure and services, elasticity, scalability, reliability, and security. To leverage such capabilities, monolithic applications typically have to be decomposed to cloud-native architectures, such as microservices. A microservice encapsulates a small and well-defined set of business functionalities and interacts with other services using lightweight mechanisms, often implemented as RESTful APIs. A recent report shows that only 20% of the enterprise workloads are in the cloud, and they were predominately written for native cloud architectures. This leaves 80% of legacy applications onpremises, waiting to be refactored and modernized for the cloud. In this tutorial, we will discuss the motivation—supported by illustrative industrial case studies—for modernizing and migrating legacy applications to cloud. We will then present a detailed tool-supported approach for transforming a monolithic Java application into microservices. This will be followed by a handson virtual lab, where participants will have the opportunity to apply the learned concepts on a real-world enterprise application. Finally, we will conclude the tutorial with a discussion of promising directions for future research more broadly in the area of application modernization.
Tue 16 NovDisplayed time zone: Hobart change
02:00 - 06:00
|Transforming Monolithic Applications to Microservices with Mono2Micro|